Sunday, January 1, 2017

From Pigtails to Chin Hairs: A Memoir & More by Becky Lewellen Povich








In "From Pigtails to Chin Hairs: A Memoir & More," Becky Lewellen Povich takes us from her young Midwestern childhood in the 1950s to present day. Chapters are vignettes of everyday happenings, or unexpected events, written in the way only Becky can, with humor and poignancy woven into them. It begins with her years of summertime fun, Christmases, the neighborhood kids, classmates, trips to the dentist, and long car rides to visit grandparents in Iowa. Becky willingly shares the bittersweet times which include her parents' divorce, major disappointments, preteen and teenage angst, a whack on her head from a falling crowbar, and her ill-fated first marriage, spent mostly in Germany. She also comically writes about her happy second marriage, cell phones, dishwashers, and how she was born with a klutz gene.

My Review:

Poignantly inspiring recollection of Pigtails to Chin Hairs. 
Funny, amusing, heart warming and emotionally draining. I was laughing and silently aware how your childhood reminded me of my very own. Woolsworth for one, the bags of candies and remember the warm cashews? Separation and divorce wheels it's ugly head in any young lives. What we don't know at the time the responsible parties suffers just the same, we were to young to comprehend. Finding your place in the world is scary but reading your memoir, you managed to say, "Hey you are not alone, I survived." In spite of all your faults you so graciously pointed out, insecurities, stresses, klutziness (don't know if such a word exist?),I felt the nonchalant attitude "dust yourself off and move on." (Yes, way to go!) But one touching part of your memoir that took a hold of my heart, being a soldier's wife. Being a soldier's wife with a newborn marrying someone you really didn't know all to well, I wanted to give you a hug. I was captivated by the hardship, moving so faraway, not having enough money on a privates pay, living payday to payday, even pawning your typewriter. I could relate to it so vividly, managed to do the same thing on a soldier's pay, back in the days. You woke up and "BAM" this book was created. I have to tell you though, I'm a klutz too, yep I bumped into things and fell over things and tumbled down the stairs so I understand your plight or it could be that darn trifocal glasses! Chin hair, that's hilarious like looking in the mirror:) So happy you found your significant other and still enjoying the longevity of it like I am. Good luck and looking forward to the next book. Won this delightful book on Goodreads First Read Giveaway. Thank you.  P.S. I'm still laughing!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mother Nature Wonders

Had to take these pics while hiking.