The 300-acre (1.2 km2) park, named after Queen Kapiʻolani, the queen consort of King David Kalākaua, is home to the Waikiki Shell and the Honolulu Zoo.
After the overthrow, the land was conveyed to the Republic of Hawaii and managed by the Honolulu Park Commission. The legislation provided that the park be set aside permanently as a free public park and recreation ground, forbade the sale or lease of land in the park, and prohibited charging of any entrance fees. Since 1913, the park has been maintained by the City and County of Honolulu's Department of Parks & Recreation. Info. Wikipedia